Thursday, March 29, 2012

What Happened to Playing??

As I was filling out a little bit in my about me page I got to thinking about my

childhood....



The family at Kelly's Island (along time ago) Mom was taking the picture and yes Im the goober in the middle :)


We lived on a deadend street in a little town in Ohio, there was a open lot (more like 3 or 4) right behind our house that belonged to the neighbors, it had a creek running along the far side. I remember taking all the sticks and "big" rocks we could find and trying to dame it up. We'd ride our skateboards and bikes up and down the street, racing......We'd do this over and over again. We played baseball, house, tag, football, catch, hide and go seek and pretty much every imagianable outside game, from the time we got home from school till our parents called us in for the night (ok, ok! Most of the time we acted like we couldnt hear them and made them come out and find us, sorry mom).

We spent days at the park, watching bub play baseball.... walking to the library and even for Icees a few times.  We went to the beach and a couple trips to Kelly's Island, where we walked the boardwalk and soaked up the sunshine. 

 Something all these memories have in common? Being outside and being active. I dont think that God intended for humans to be as inactive lazy as we have become.

These were some of my best childhood memories, we were safe and we were having fun.  It just doesnt seem like this is the norm anymore.  Ive seen it happen, parents are to busy to let their kids actually play, they dont want them to get hurt, so instead of taking the time to watch them, they sit them in from of the TV, buy them every video game known to man and "lock" them away. 

I hate to admit it but Ive been there, Ive ocassionally used the TV or Angry Birds as a distraction cause I didnt want to take the time, but this is something ive been working on.  I try to get outside and do things with Evie, I want the memories Evie has of her childhood to be like mine, playing outside with mom, dad and friends, not of Dora or The Wonder Pets.


About a year and a half ago me and Nick took Evie to Kelly's Island.... She loved it!

Mommy Monday Link Up

No comments:

Post a Comment